Saturday, April 02, 2005

Sex, The City, and Strange Things

A good friend of mine from college moved back to town this week, and yesterday I got to go "preview" her new house (before all of her stuff is moved in next week). It's a nice house, good neighborhood, etc...but there was no furniture and the cleaners were there getting everything in tip-top shape to be wrecked by the movers immediately upon arrival (in the rain, no doubt). So, alas, we had to sit outside. As we huddled on her front step something came up about "Sex and the City" and my friend comments that she has seen everything through the middle of Season Six. I am guessing, based on the content of the conversation that she, like me, owns the requisite DVDs of the remaining seasons. Being a good friend (which does not go so far as to loan her my own DVDs), I advised her of locations where she could quickly procure and watch the final season. But she won't! At least not yet. She says that once she watches it, it will really be over. And this is interesting...because here is a show about love and friendship -- really more about friendship and personal growth (okay, and SHOES!) -- and it has been so well done that those of us who have become obsessed with SATC have developed our own relationships with the characters. And when the show ended, we had to mourn the loss of those relationships. This is an interesting phenomenon.

So as we sit on her front porch discussing her NOT watching Season Six (part two), a Schwan's truck drives by which reminds me that I have forgotten -- yet again -- to order groceries and will be relegated to the world of dining out for yet another week (or however often they come by). So when the driver is en route on the street next to her house I wave in a half-mock-panic fashion. But he SEES me! By now the carpet cleaners have arrived (still on the new house project, remember?) and so I have to move my car for them, so I walk around the side of the house and here comes the Schwan's guy! He asks was I waving at him, and I admitted that I was...I told him we had recently (a year is "recent," right?) moved and I had yet to contact Schwan's to have groceries delivered and asked if I could just buy groceries from him right then and there. Of course. It is customary when visiting a friend that you purchase your dinner items for the next week while standing in the street in front of their new house. So that is precisely what I did. I flagged down a grocery truck in a neighborhood all the way across town and bought groceries in the middle of the street, which were then delivered RIGHT to my car!

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Is Schwan's like Sephora? Something that I'm supposed to like but know nothing about.

11:39 PM  
Blogger ET said...

Schwan's is a grocery delivery service that basically comes to your house either once a week or once every two weeks and brings whatever items you order. It is convenient for those of us who never have time to do anything because you can order everything for a meal. But if you want fresh fruits and such like, you still have to go to the store.

1:30 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home