Saturday, April 02, 2005

Goodbye Pope John Paul II

As a bad Catholic/former Catholic I must admit that I am moved by the death of Pope John Paul II this afternoon. If there is a Godly afterlife then surely he celebrates now. The media reported (this morning, prior to the news of his death) that a group of "young people" had gathered in Vatican Square earlier (either yesterday or today) and the Pope, from his bed, said "I have been looking for you, and now you have come to me." The report indicated that his words were meant for the gathering of young people, but does this strike anyone else as perhaps an erroneous interpretation in terms of the recipient? After all, he spent at least the past 26 years of his life looking for God...perhaps God came to him as the end drew near to accompany him on whatever journey lay ahead. It would be perhaps a fitting end to his life and his dedication to the Church. The Catholic church has lost its spiritual leader, and the world has lost an amazing man. So goodbye, Pope John Paul II...and goodbye Karol Wojtyla. Rest in peace and know the world will remember.

2 Comments:

Blogger ET said...

Quasar, I was referring more to a legacy including contributions toward ending the Cold War, etc. If you look at religion and the concept/propagation/practices of religion, you will find all the "lies and false hope" one could ever wish for. And a means for controlling those who need something to cling to. That being said, I know a lot of people who are, shall we say, "of faith" and I am certain he meant something to them. And did his job. So, although I do not agree with his views I do recognize him as a contributing person of some magnitude (without judging the value of the contributions) and retain some modicum of respect for him, if only for sticking to his guns in the face of great opposition. We should all have such integrity.

5:41 PM  
Blogger ET said...

Well, I think I might know who "Quasar" is...tell me, do you like Ayn Rand? Anyway, it was just a sort of "goodbye" to the Pope, not a defense of religion or creationism. I am not of any religion. And just for the record, I didn't actually see anyone asserting free will OR the evil nature of man except for you.

9:23 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home