Monday, April 04, 2005

Fun with Geometry

If the shortest distance between two points is a line, then clearly the shortest distance between three points is to trench a line right down the middle of my yard. This is exactly what the phone people did last year when we moved in, and now that the "seam" diagonally bisecting my lawn has healed, the cable people have been so generous as to provide us with a brand new one. (At least the cable guy didn't break a window in the process.) This is, of course, in addition to the various flags and spray-painted lines running all over the property. Welcome to spring gardening! Now, along with the multicolored lines and flags, the yard is sporting three new red maples and a flowering dogwood. Now if only I can get my spring cleaning (and the rest of the general unpacking from last year) finished!

By the way, I feel that I must recommend that anyone who is interested in crab cakes refrain from buying these through Schwan's. Chesapeake Bay makes a MUCH tastier crab or lobster cake with huge chunks of meat and is significantly easier to prepare. Just a little tip from me to you.

2 Comments:

Blogger Rachel said...

Geometry? Why are we stopping there? Because I have to indirectly deal with idiots that cut fiber and buried phone cable let's try this equation on for size: How big of an explosion is caused by a backhoe that cuts into a 1500 foot section of 6 pair 22 gauge wire? Answer: big enough to make the redneck do it only once before he learns to "call okie" and not pee on the john deere again.

7:59 PM  
Blogger ET said...

As is probably evident from the post (mention of flags and spray paint), I did call to have everything marked the requisite 48 hours before digging. For those of you out there who think this is silly let me say two things: 1) it's the LAW and if you don't do it and hit something you could be criminally liable; and 2) the spots I had tentatively marked for my trees were within two feet of an underground gas line. Needless to say (but, as always, saying it anyway!), the tree destination was moved a bit and, to the delight of everyone involved, there was no explosion due to hitting a gas line during the process. Happy days.

8:04 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home