Sunday, July 17, 2005

This Week in Review


These are cosmetic items that I have purchased/received in the last week or so...I will try to make this a Sunday feature at least once a month, to review products I have tried and also to remind myself of all the "stuff" I buy!

1. Stila's limited edition "Vanity Fair" set (eBay purchase). This set includes an eyeshadow trio (one full size, one split pan) in pale pink and blue-greys (greys are going to be big for fall/winter), an all-over shimmer (the colorless one), and a sheer lipstick in "Becky." All of the items are packed neatly into a deep blue velvet Stila bag with a silver star pull and a pewter grosgrain-type lining. First of all, I love the velvet bag. Tres chic...and I can just throw it in my bag and go. I was also pleased to discover that the "Becky" lipstick is a sheer color, which is slightly more pinky-red than I am used to but I love it nonetheless (and will be trying another Stila sheer "Wendy" now that I have taken the lipstick plunge).

2. Stila's It Gloss in "Inviting" (Stila). This is a peachy shade from the newly-released It Gloss line. It has a lovely vanilla scent, and the color is quite nice, but I am not pleased with the brush delivery system...it goes on a bit gloppy. The color is scary in the tube, but goes on sheer. Not a bad gloss, love the scent (and no fruity or sweet taste -- always a plus), but would benefit tremendously from a different applicator.

3. MAC lip gelee in "Slicked Pink" (MAC, Dillards, or Saks). What can I say? This is absolute heaven in a cute little squeeze-applicator tube. The color is perfection, the application is easy, and the vanilla scent is divine. I have long been a huge fan of MAC lipglass, and this is a bit different...less sticky/tacky and more sheer. A+ on this one...definitely my new favorite!

4. Sarah Jessica Parker's new perfume "Lovely" (Nordstrom). This was due out for fall, but somehow Nordstrom got hold of it in time for their Anniversary promotions (check these out! Especially the cosmetic "extras" that are available during Anniversary week...some good deals to be had). I will admit that I cannot look at the name of this without thinking of the episode of SATC with the rooster on the roof who has a "very lovely life" but, that aside, this is a nice fragrance. I expected that it might be a little too much on the feminine side for me, but it is not overpoweringly flowery. More like a feminine, velvety soft fragrance. The egg-shaped bottle is cute, and fun to hold. It will join the "countertop collection."

2 Comments:

Blogger ET said...

Not so sure anymore whether the "Lovely" is so lovely. To test the fragrance, I spayed a tiny spritz in the cap and waited for the alcohol to evaporate. Apparently some of the liquid ran off onto my hand, and by the end of the day the scent was giving me a headache. I am insanely sensitive to perfume headaches. Does anyone else have comments on this perfume before I decide whether it goes back?

12:05 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I LOVED Becky's look in Vanity Fair. I'm trying to picture an ET Becky now. :)

11:14 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home