Saturday, May 21, 2005

The Problem with eBay

I have long been an eBay aficionado, but if you are going to buy something other than a cheap book or movie I must say caveat emptor. eBay is a huge forum for counterfeit merchandise, despite their "prohibitions" against such items. Looking for a nice diamond? Well, maybe you can find one on eBay and even get a good price...but come on...if you're shelling out ten large on a diamond, don't you want to see it in person first? The real problem lies in handbags (at least this is one area where I have discovered a real problem!). If you can buy a $1,200 Prada bag on eBay for $150, guess what? You're paying $150 for a piece of garbage NOT made by Prada and probably supporting terrorism in the process. Now, there was a recent article on this "Faking It: Buying Online"
http://fashion.about.com/cs/tipsadvice/a/fakingit_2.htm, but even this article suggests that there is a "fine print" disclosure that you are buying a fake. NOT SO. I have seen numerous eBay items that say "100% Authenticity Guaranteed" or "money back authenticity guarantee" but don't be fooled. Usually in order to get your money back, you need to have the bag inspected by an authorized dealer and have them write a statement that the bag is not authentic. Problems with this: 1) Often there is no authorized dealer in your area, and 2) if there is, they won't write statements for your fake bag. I purchased an item from an eBay dealer once that was an "authenticity guaranteed" bag from Gucci, and when I received it I found a number of defects on the bag that Gucci would never, ever let out of their door with their name on it. And it turns out the bag was shipped from China, NOT from New York where the seller was "located." If you are looking at a bag that is a pre-order, substantially lower priced than the item directly from a retailer, or ships from somewhere overseas that is NOT where the items is supposed to be made (for instance, Hogan bags are made in Italy), you are probably getting ripped off and you might as well go to the mall kiosk that sells knockoff LV bags 2 for $40. Also, if the seller says "Don't ask me questions about authenticity...I will not answer them...I have sold many items and they are all authentic" then the red flags should spring into view! Here is someone who doesn't want any written record stating that a particular item is authentic...and sure he may have sold lots of "authentic" items, but then "authentic" can have a lot of meanings. An authentic handbag can be a handbag that is REALLY a handbag, not necessarily a handbag that really is from the maker whose name is on the bag. BEWARE! And know that eBay has a link to report such members, after which they will be investigated and possibly suspended or terminated for fraudulent practices. This is also a HUGE violation of trademark laws (not to mention false advertising). So how can you be safe? The only real way is to buy from an authorized retailer at full price. But what if (as was recently my case) the item is "last season" and no longer available from the retailer? The bottom line is KNOW YOUR PRODUCT and your seller! Find out what to look for, authorized dealers or retailers, distinguishing marks and characteristics, and real price ranges for used merchandise. If your Italian leather handbag is shipping from Turkey, China, or similar, you are probably going to end up with a "mirror image" knockoff of the bag you are paying top dollar for (and they copy these right down to the tag and serial numbers, with false "paperwork"). Check feedback -- even positive feedback. The particular seller who sent me the nasty e-mail after I asked about a mark on his bag (and from whom I did NOT make a purchase) had a 96% feedback rating, which is "acceptable but not great"...turns out TWO of the recent "positive" feedbacks included statements such as "item not authentic but I like it anyway" and "not sure item is authentic." See, the thing about feedback is if you leave a negative for the seller, he will retailiate and try to make himself look better by leaving a negative for you...the unsuspecting purchaser of his fake merchandise. Also if the seller of your high dollar questionable item is "new" (low feedback) or recently changed eBay I.D., you might want to find another seller. If it looks too good to be true, or if it looks like it might not be legit, PASS. And report it. Save someone else from lining the pockets of thieves.

11 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

you don't have to convince me... I've never shopped on ebay.. and I most likely never will.. In fact.. I Rarely shop online.. I could probably count on one hand how many times I've done it over the past 3 yrs.

7:10 PM  
Blogger ET said...

I do buy stuff online...six years of living on the busiest street in Tulsa will convince all but the strongest of constitutions to AVOID the mall and just have something sent to you. That and I can rarely find what I want in or around this town. But my eBaying has tapered off significantly of late...the whole "counterfeit" thing just put me off of eBay in general.

10:21 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

So, let's solve a few problems here and make a trip to Dallas/Kansas City. Sephora and handbag places call!

11:28 PM  
Blogger ET said...

Well, Kansas City has no Sephora, so Dallas it is. When do you want to go and how long do you want to stay? We can visit Tiffany & Co. while we're there!

11:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

road trip! shopping wasn't what I have in mind.. but there's bound to be some adult entertainment I could find..

1:36 PM  
Blogger ET said...

Oh...if it's adult entertainment you're looking for you could just come to one of LT's birthday parties...

1:38 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

Or you could probably pay me enough to entertain you! Except I won't do that ONE thing. ;)

2:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

rachel, that one thing? It could make you a better tip.. but then again.. are you a cop? This could be entrapment.. let me speak to my attorney before discussing further action... We'll get back to you..

5:38 PM  
Blogger CrankyBiscuit said...

I don't buy designer stuff on ebay unless the seller accepts escrow payments (and they almost never do) or if they are a My Poupette reseller for LV products.

NEVER buy if they don't take paypal and if they have private feedback, no matter how good it looks!

12:06 PM  
Blogger ET said...

CrankyBiscuit, I know this was probably a redundant post for you, but it never hurts to publish "just one more" on the counterfeit warnings.

I have (in the past) had good luck with Coach purchases on eBay, but anything that is more "high end" than that requires special caution. I ONLY pay via PayPal, and when buying something of this nature I pay with a credit card so I can dispute the purchase if something goes awry. I NEVER deal with people who don't take PayPal.

I received my Hogan bag today and it is beautiful and butter-soft. And it matches my brown boots right down the stitching... absolutely perfect.

2:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It pretty much covers Replica related stuff.

3:32 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home