Sunday, April 17, 2005

Have Taxes, Won't Travel

I am back! I know, I know...I have been remiss about the whole "prompt" or "daily" posting, but I've been busy. And do you really need to hear from me EVERY day? Okay, so maybe you do. So what is new with me? Well, Friday was the official TAX DAY, and by Wednesday I was finally able to get the stupid item error corrected (well, I should say an employee of the company who owns the program that I used to DO my taxes was finally able to correct it, seeing as how the damn thing STILL won't let me access my own page to make the correction myself) so that the IRS would stop rejecting my e-Return. And I thought this whole online filing thing was SO much easier. In truth, it is...just make sure you don't transpose two numbers in your Employer Identification Number box. And I paid my outrageously unreasonable state taxes so we can continue to spend thirty minutes at the 169/244 junction while they pretend to fix the roads, or add a lane, or whatever the hell it is that they are doing. Naturally blockage and disruption like this leads to accidents, which then tie up the ONE bit of free space we have left to actually move our vehicles through, so the whole thing becomes a bit of a bore after the first two minutes or so. And can someone tell me WHY it is necessary to construct and entirely NEW road to divert traffic so they can then work on the old road, ultimately only to tear the new road down again? This seems to me incredibly wasteful. Why not just keep the new road? Because our road crews are crappy? Well, maybe if we taught them English we could instruct them on how to properly BUILD the first road and then we could keep just one. But no...clearly we must spend six months screwing up traffic to build a road we won't use and don't need so we can then move everyone over and fix the other crappy road. And what was so wrong with the first road again? "Progress as Promised." That's what the city calls it. Like it's our fault and they are doing us a huge favor with all of this mess. AND we're about to hit ozone season. Which means the city will beg us to ride the bus or carpool or not buy gas (as if we could actually AFFORD gas) or NOT mow our lawn on a certain day because it is more important that we SIT with our cars idling for half an hour while some jackass (okay, in fairness a whole CREW of jackasses) pretends to be fixing the road. Hmm. Actually this post was supposed to be about my errant teenager, but I guess I was distracted. Well, fodder for tomorrow's post I guess. Happy trails ('cause the roads are blocked!).

3 Comments:

Blogger ET said...

And yes, before anyone goes off on me about the fact that it is our COUNTY taxes and not the State taxes that pay for the 169/244 road work, I KNOW. But it makes a nice segue, don't you think. Since now apparently 169 DOESN'T! And, in that case, WHAT are my state taxes going for again? Clearly not eduction...

10:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

actually... I think its the City of Tulsa who runs that part of the highway system with matching or partial funding by the state.. but then again.. I don't really know for sure.. but don't blame that on my education.. blame it on video games I grew up with... which by the way.. I saw an Atari system with the old games in a Target add today in the paper.. that makes me so happy.. I'm going to go get one today.. bringing back more of the 80s!

1:57 PM  
Blogger Rachel said...

I can afford gas--I own a Civic. :) They're adding a light at 94th & Memorial...one more distraction on my way to work as well as avoiding Yale between 71st & 81st altogether. I feel ya, sista!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home